Since I’ve been working with a lot of Turkish engineers in the last few months in MovieLaLa, I’ve learned a lot about the land of Turkey and it’s people. Here's a list of the top 10:
1. They love to claim everything started in Turkey (because America is so young). I get quotes like “The Great Ottoman Empire….”, “We’ve been doing that forever….” or “We started that first….”
2. Don’t come between a Turk and his cigarette.
3. Turkish people love juice and soda, and shy away from water. I’ve never seen them use an ice cube either.
4. Soccer is like a religion. (Luckily our engineers aren’t crazy nutz about it, but the turkish soccer team emblems cover their bedrooms and work chairs from time to time. It’s deep in their hearts.)
5. Menemen is a really good breakfast meal that is like an American scramble with vegetables. Super delicious and healthy.
6. Tea drinking is a sport. Any time of day is the perfect tea time.
7. They really love warm weather. The office temperature is a constant 80 degrees around the clock with pure happiness.
8. Driving skills. Oy. I think they are still looking for where those skills went. I start to wonder what driving is like in Istanbul ??
9. Bread is an essential part of every meal, including a new activity called bread dipping.
10. Cleanliness is very important. They keep the work, eating and kitchen area very clean. It’s quite impressive.