So it's the first time our team has ever done yoga. This shot was taken before the yoga instructor began the class. I'd like to go through a bit about each team member and what the pre-class posture represents.
To set up the yoga event, we went on a Sunday evening. I know that our team has never done yoga before and completely aware that yoga is not exactly mainstream in Istanbul. But with a little curiosity and a lot of coercing, they all willingly came to the yoga session. Everyone in the photo is mentally preparing for what's to come. Sahin is on the far left, having practiced yoga a few times before. He is happy and excited to practice yoga with the team. Lutfi is in all black, our engineer who is super psyched to find balance in his mind and body- he's always up for anything! Taner is our former Microsoft Manager who's third from the left. He's unbelievably shocked he's been seduced to come to class with the team. Unsure of what's to come he plays with the black yoga block to cope. 🙂 Esen is next to Taner in the Coke shirt. She's our designer who's also slightly unsure how she ended up in the class and very hesitant to begin. Serhat is our UI/UX engineer who is happy to participate and open to trying new things.
Ultimately the team did a great job trying something new. I have a feeling Sunday night yoga will become a small MovieLaLa ritual where we can all participate in doing something for ourselves- together aside from computer work.
Until next time.
When I visit other entrepreneurs or investors, I'm always curious about their workspace. I think the way that you work and what you choose around you tells you a lot about a person.
I've included a quick snapshot of what is next to my arm on the computer. Because I travel a lot, I like to light the candles when I'm at the office. Other items include paper and pen (for constant note taking), crystals for energy, head messager for thinking, dark chocolate for all times of the day, and extra pens and paper for emergency cases.
Of course this is just one corner of my desk, but probably the most active 🙂
Since I’ve been working with a lot of Turkish engineers in the last few months in MovieLaLa, I’ve learned a lot about the land of Turkey and it’s people. Here's a list of the top 10:
1. They love to claim everything started in Turkey (because America is so young). I get quotes like “The Great Ottoman Empire….”, “We’ve been doing that forever….” or “We started that first….”
2. Don’t come between a Turk and his cigarette.
3. Turkish people love juice and soda, and shy away from water. I’ve never seen them use an ice cube either.
4. Soccer is like a religion. (Luckily our engineers aren’t crazy nutz about it, but the turkish soccer team emblems cover their bedrooms and work chairs from time to time. It’s deep in their hearts.)
5. Menemen is a really good breakfast meal that is like an American scramble with vegetables. Super delicious and healthy.
6. Tea drinking is a sport. Any time of day is the perfect tea time.
7. They really love warm weather. The office temperature is a constant 80 degrees around the clock with pure happiness.
8. Driving skills. Oy. I think they are still looking for where those skills went. I start to wonder what driving is like in Istanbul ??
9. Bread is an essential part of every meal, including a new activity called bread dipping.
10. Cleanliness is very important. They keep the work, eating and kitchen area very clean. It’s quite impressive.
Team LaLa working behind the scenes to bring you the BEST social movie platform out there. Where Silicon Valley meets LA.